Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Fun with chalk

I've been really inspired by Mary Ann Kohl's various amazing books (check them out at your local library!) lately. Last week we took several of her chalk drawing experiences from the Preschool Art book and put them all together into one chalkapalooza of an afternoon. And just as her subtitle predicted, "Preschool Art: It's the process, not the product," they took these ideas way, waaaaaay beyond where I ever would have imagined.

We started with the basic chalk on paper. After a few minutes of that I showed them how they could smear it with their fingers or cotton balls. Of course they tried drawing with both the end and the side of the chalk.

The next suggestion the Preschool Art book made was to dip the chalk in a sugar water solution. You'll have to try this to see what happens. That was fun for a few minutes and then the inevitable, "What if we dipped the entire PAPER in the water?" question came from O Boy. Kudos to Mary Ann Kohl for anticipating that question and preparing me for it. I already had the cookie sheet filled with water standing by and plenty of water sopping up materials spread out.

So they tried dipping and drawing until their papers began tearing...TEARING! And thus the project evolved again.
The next stage was tearing up the wet paper and arranging the pieces on a new paper to make a new creation. I'm not sure what this was supposed to be - maybe a zebra?
Then O Boy just decided to go whole hog down the water/paper route and ended up with what he called "garbage." This was basically construction paper (he carefully chose white, black and brown paper) turned into pulp with lots of water and tearing. At one point I turned around to find him pouring the sugar/water solution onto his "garbage" pile.
Mr. T did a bunch of tearing and, with some help from me, made a very nice elephant. Elephant happens to be his favorite animal. And as a side note, the number 4 is his favorite number and blue is his favorite color. Just FYI.
Did I mention this was all happening on one of our first Mr. T potty training days? So when we had to make the inevitable emergency run to the bathroom, the Little Sweetie decided to pick up where the boys left off. I will admit, I totally did not see this coming. I was extremely well prepared for this project and had everything laid out and planned out...except for the fact that my 1 year old might eat the chalk when my back was turned. I was humbled yet again by our sweet third child. (Aunt Missi, please note her lovely "Trevor" necklace accessory.)

This video features Mr. T showing off his chalk art. If you are reading this on FB, you'll have to connect to our blog to see the video since it doesn't transfer to Facebook.

This video features O Boy showing off his chalk art. If you are reading this on FB, you'll have to connect to our blog to see the video since it doesn't transfer to Facebook.

No comments: